11.30.2010

Sculpture: Mold Making

Project #2 was to make a 2 part plaster mold.


Once the decision was made to create my own freeform object from clay I worked out an organic shape with implicit movement. I formed the general shape and it was clear I was not satisfied with a single size. So I constructed a total of three molds of varying size. I did not have a specific plan but felt the shape provided opportunities. The organic nature of the shape, the swirling, and the conical form already had ideas floating in my head. I saw horns, stylized Dr. Suess trees, tornados just to list a few. I decided to let the project reveal itself. Once I saw the finished form and the opportunity for manipulation and personality, it became clear the objects were creatures. I ultimately see hundreds of them meandering in groups on a floor, wall, and ceiling. Gathering as a flock of birds.

The project repeats a shape and form. The forms vary in size yet are unified by their triangular shape and conical form. Beyond the individual pieces the project also takes on a similar unity and variety through the repetition of 3 separate molds. The varying sizes help to create a balance. The forms are set in motion by twisting the object creating a swirl. The movement is repeated and furthered by a twist within the swirl becoming like an eddy or tornado. In post mold manipulation I added texture to the piece by creating ridges and organic lumps and bumps. I also created a delicate vertical line texture on each piece which was subsequently covered with the application of wax. The wax and crayon covering assumed a fleshy texture and appearance.

The entire group.

From above

Close up #1

Close up #2

2 comments:

  1. To me there's a lot of ambiguity about these in a good way. They are other worldly, sensual, intimidating as a group - lots of emotions come to mind as I look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you used the word 'fleshy' at the end because I couldn't get that idea out of my head when looking at these. The color and hint of shine really bring these to life. I start thinking about what a stop motion film would look like with them moving around and interacting with one another. The first photo looks like the viewer is peering in on a ceremony or ritual service of sorts with the forms bowing to the middle. By creating the different sizes, a hierarchy emerges of leaders and followers. I'd love to see you make more so we can see how these creatures interact.

    ReplyDelete