11.24.2010

Self Portrait: Sculpture

The semester is winding down. This project was a self portrait. Only stipulation on this project was the head had to be made of clay. The rest was up to us.


The structure of the figure was extremely important and required creative problem solving to counteract the weight of the clay head. I constructed the frame work from PVC pipe and chicken wire. I filled the legs with plaster to weigh down the body so the head would not topple the body framework. I painted on paraffin wax for the eyes. I also used wax and crayon for the chest and hand to create a flesh appearance.


Detail

My self portrait explores being constrained in life by personal stories and the past. The mummy imagery was chosen as a representation of death. Not death in the traditional sense but the death of play, adventure, and spirit. The dead spirit lies asleep, emotionally unconscious and self expression silenced. The body is wrapped as an ancient mummy locked away in a tomb. The wrapping represents layers of personal narrative weaved over time. The wrap constrains the figure as our past can constrain our actions and way of being.
Yet, the figure struggles and tears against the wrappings. Exposing the head as the body begins to reanimate. There is an awakening. Blind eyes open and flesh returns. The wrappings are being shed as the past is released. There is a part of me currently in a struggle to unburden myself form my personal narrative and release my true self expression.



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully haunting and I appreciate your raw honesty in the description. Awesome and very moving.

    ReplyDelete